Sep 26, 2011

Terra Nova, Life on Mars

Terra Nova starts tonight on Fox, 9/26, 8:00 p.m. Eureka's season ended just in time. I have high hopes for this show. Let's hope Fox doesn't fubar it. You can find out more than you want to know about the show at the official website: http://www.fox.com/terranova/




TERRA NOVA follows an ordinary family on an incredible journey back in time to prehistoric Earth as a small part of a daring experiment to save the human race. In the year 2149, the world is dying. The planet is overdeveloped and overcrowded, with the majority of plant and animal life extinct. The future of mankind is in jeopardy, and its only hope for survival is in the distant past.

When scientists unexpectedly discovered a fracture in time that made it possible to construct a portal into primeval history, the bold notion was born to resettle humanity in the past – a second chance to rebuild civilization and get it right this time.

The series centers on the Shannon family as they join the Tenth Pilgrimage of settlers to Terra Nova, the first colony established in this beautiful yet foreboding land. JIM SHANNON (Jason O’Mara), a devoted father with a checkered past, guides his family through this new world of limitless beauty, mystery and terror. Jim’s wife, ELISABETH (Shelley Conn), is a trauma surgeon and the newest addition to Terra Nova’s medical team. JOSH (Landon Liboiron) is their 17-year-old son who is torn to leave life as he knows it behind; upon arriving at the settlement, he finds himself instantly drawn to the beautiful and rule-breaking SKYE (Allison Miller). MADDY (Naomi Scott), Josh’s endearingly awkward 15-year-old sister, hopes Terra Nova will give her a chance to reinvent herself. Although Elisabeth’s medical training secured the family a spot on the pilgrimage, a secret involving their five-year-old daughter, ZOE (Alana Mansour), soon endangers their place in this utopia.

I've always said any show could be improved by the addition of giant, man-eating reptiles. I just hope I won't be disappointed.



I like Jason O'Mara in the lead. He was also the lead in Life on Mars. Have you ever seen this? I watched in on dvd recently and it really is a fabulous show. Jason - Sam Tyler somehow ends up back in 1973. I commend their attention to detail. The culture, the feel, the attitudes, it took me back to that decade without a stumble. Peppered with the 1970's cop show are trippy scenes as the audience tries to figure out with Sam Tyler what the heck is going on. If you haven't seen Life on Mars, I highly recommend it. It originally aired on ABC. I see the UK did a remake, but I haven't seen that one, so can't say whether it's as good.

The season ender of Eureka was great. I'm glad to see we get a 'final' season before all science fiction disappears from Syfy. Warehouse 13 had zombies in it, so I couldn't watch it. Why would they do that to me? It's just wrong to put zombies in any show not about zombies that I watch.

I get inspiration from TV, so I like to watch some. Except for Terra Nova, there's not anything on I want to see though. I've been watching Lexx on Netflix, which is interesting. Dark, but interesting. Definite Mad Maxxish, Blade Runnerish vibe.



Anything have you excited this season? Besides my upcoming release of Semper Audacia? :) See anything good on dvd or Netflix?

Want to keep discussing Terra Nova? Join me on my website, Spacedock 19 is continuing talk on Terra Nova.